Monday, June 15, 2015

Tips for Expecting Moms

    Being pregnant can be a pretty overwhelming experience, especially if it's your first pregnancy. Here are some of the things I've picked up from my pregnancy that I want to share with other expecting moms.

1. There is more than one way to go about things

       I made sure to make this number 1 because I feel that this is one of the most important things to know and remember when pregnant. You see, every woman and every pregnancy is different and just because what your going through is different from what your sisters, friends or even celebrities experienced does not make your pregnancy less beautiful than theirs.

     Always remember that even if you do things differently than other pregnant women, does not mean you are a bad mother. Why do I say this? Because often times people tend to over step and comment about what you do while pregnant. Although they have the best intentions, sometimes people tend to voice out their opinions in an offensive manner. I personally have learned that I tend to be pretty pale when I am pregnant. I was borderline anemic during my pregnancy, even when I made sure to drink my vitamins and iron supplement regularly, and people couldn't help but comment about it, and would sometimes even question if I was taking care of myself. I often times found myself crying about it (WOAH! Hormones alert! I know), but after getting my post partum CBC results and seeing that I was far from being anemic, I realized that it was simply how my body reacted to my pregnancy and not because of something I did or didn't do.

     Whether you continue to workout regularly, dye your hair (yes, some OBs permit their patients to dye their hair as long as its during the latter part of the pregnancy and that its ammonia free dye), continue to drink a controlled amount of caffeine,as long as you're heading the advice of your medical practioner don't allow unsolicited advice to get you down.

2. Don't scratch! Make sure to moisturize, moisturize, moisturize!

     This is a trick I learned from my mom. She had 5 kids and no stretch marks. I know your belly can be pretty itchy especially during the third trimester, but resist the temptation and moisturize the area instead. Aside from putting lotion after every bath, I also put lotion when I start to feel the urge to scratch. I also heard from an office mate that his wife and a lot of their friends attest to Extra Virgin Coconut Oil helping keep those stretch marks at bay.

3. Water is your new best friend

      Staying hydrated is very important for pregnant women, and it's a good way to prevent UTI. I unfortunately learned this the hard way and had several cases of UTI during my pregnancy, thankfully nothing too serious that I needed to be confined and attached to an IV.

      I work in the BPO industry and in the beginning I would use my breaks to drink 2-3 glasses of water, because I've always been too lazy (and too forgetful) to bring a tumbler of water, but eventually I felt the urge to drink more often and I ended up bringing a tumbler everyday. It's also good to have water with you at all times, just in case you have morning sickness (or in my case eat, sleep, throw up, repeat).

4. Read, Read Read. Learn, learn learn

    Every day there are new discoveries and inventions and because of this there are a lot more decisions to be made when it comes to motherhood and parenting. Are you going to go for the Epidural or will you save it as a last resort? Will you breast feed or formula feed? If your baby is a boy will you have him circumcised after birth? Will you buy this brand or that? So many things to decide on and so many things to learn. Honestly, this is something I wish I did more of when I was pregnant because there are a lot of things I'm learning now that would've come in handy back then. Read books, browse on the internet (make sure to read from reliable sources) and discuss things with fellow moms. This will help you make decisions that you are confident in.

5. Enjoy it! 

     Morning sickness, swollen feet, weight gain, doesn't sound too fabulous I know, but believe me once it's over you'll find yourself reminiscing about your pregnancy and maybe even find yourself missing it.  There will be moments like when you feel your baby kick for the first time and when you first see your baby via ultrasound, that  you just want to stay in forever. Cherish those moments, take a picture, write about it on a journal, anything that will help you go back into that moment.


    Hope this helped and have a healthy and happy pregnancy!



No comments:

Post a Comment